Tuesday, January 24, 2023
Call to Order: 6:00 p.m.
Roll Call: Nancy Strohschein, Chairperson; Linnea Barron, Secretary; Joe Bollech, Trustee; Bob Janda, Township Board Representative; Robert Lindert, Vice Chairperson; Jay Loman, Board of Appeals Representative. Absent: Donna Preston, absent with notice.
Pledge of Allegiance: Recited
Approval of Agenda: Addition made to the agenda under recreation plan; list of resources. Joe made a motion to approve the agenda, seconded by Bob. Motion carried.
Approval of minutes of January 12, 2023 work session: Joe made a motion to accept the minutes, seconded by Robert. Motion carried.
A. Recreation Plan: We reviewed the sections of the recreation plan provided by Jason again. In answer to Jason’s question of providing examples of community volunteerism in Arvon Township recreation planning: Ballfield clean-up done by volunteers; Farmer’s Market; the Christmas party for children put on by the fire department auxiliary; Aura Jamboree; community garage sales; pie social/quilt show by historical society; Memorial Day luncheon provided by the historical society; craft show; 4th of July parade, ice fishing tournament. Another question from Jason was about the township interacting with the school or other public agencies regarding recreation programs or activities: Arvon Township school Christmas program at the town hall; Veteran’s Day program at the school.
In preparing our recreation plan survey we utilized the one from Autrain to guide us. We ended up with twelve questions that will be on-line as well as paper copy, as follows.
1. Do you or your family use recreational facilities offered in Arvon Township? Yes or No
2. Does Arvon Township have enough recreational facilities to accommodate our residents and visitors? Yes or No and written comment section.
3. Are Arvon Township’s recreational facilities that you have used adequately maintained? Yes or No.
4. What activities do you and your family members participate in Arvon Township for recreation? (Please include all seasons.) Written comments.
5. Are there additional recreational opportunities you would like to see developed in Arvon Township? Please be creative.
6. How many hours per week do you spend in recreation?
7. What time of year do you or your family recreate in Arvon Township? Year-round, spring, summer, fall, winter.
8. What is your age? 18 & under, 19-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50+
9. What is your gender: Male, female.
10. Which one of these Arvon Township recreation areas do you believe need additional improvements: Need to supply list of our resources.
11. Are you interested in joining a recreation committee for Arvon Township?
12. Do you live in Arvon Township? (on-line only)
For the return of paper copies of the survey a drop box will be provided at the post office, town hall (fire hall), Huron Bay Trading Post and the Finns. A deadline date will be set for dropping off the surveys and the on-line survey.
Linnea will compile a list of Arvon Township’s resources for recreation purposes.
B. Zoning Ordinance.
Nancy reported that all of Ken’s files are now with Lisa Marinich, Township Clerk. They include all current and old files. Ken indicated he would like to continue with land division. Ken also suggested to Jay Fish, Township Supervisor, that the township needs to have a person in the office at least a couple hours a day or week. Nancy will continue to be in contact with Ken via email regarding the ordinance and the fee schedule.
The following definitions were discussed for inclusion in our ordinance: concrete dome structures, geodesic domes, yurts, root cellars, greenhouses, barndominiums. Also multiple cabins on 5-acre parcel for rent and vaulted privy instead of mound septic system needs to be addressed. The vaulted privy would be a health department issue.
Adjourn: Robert made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Bob. Motion carried. Adjournment was at 8 p.m.
Next meeting date for work session: Thursday, February 16, 2023, at 6 p.m. at the fire hall.
Submitted by Linnea Barron, Secretary