CALL TO ORDER: 6:00 p.m.
ROLL CALL AND RECOGNITION OF VISITORS: Bette Gabe, Chairperson; Dorothy Nankervis, Trustee; Mary Deline, Trustee; Joe Bollech, Trustee; Keith Erickson, Township Board Representative; Kenny Anderson, Zoning Administrator; Linnea Barron, Secretary. Absent: Jay Loman, unknown reason. Visitors: Irene Fisher.
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE: We started our meeting with the pledge of allegiance.
APPROVAL OF AGENDA: Dorothy made a motion to accept the agenda, Mary seconded, all in favor, motion carried.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Mary made a motion to accept the minutes for the quarterly January 8, 2020 meeting, seconded by Keith, all in favor, motion carried. Dorothy made a motion to accept the minutes for the Feb. 25, 2020 work session, seconded by Mary, all in favor, motion carried.
SCHEDULED PUBLIC HEARINGS: Public Hearing on the proposed amendments to our wind turbine section in the Ordinance is on August 10, 2020, at 6 p.m. at the Arvon Township Town Hall. Bette discussed the process for the meeting.
PUBLIC COMMENT: Irene reserved her comment to our second public comment.
OTHER MATTERS TO BE REVIEWED BY THE PLANNING COMMISSION: None.
a. Proposed zoning amendments in regard to utility wind turbines; overview and suggested changes by Attorney Joshua Nolan. There were just a few suggestions by the attorney to our amendments and are as follows:
1. Section 1502 (D) – change “Allow use of wind turbine…” to “Allow operation of wind turbine…”’
2. Section 1502 – Onsite – (D) Remove from D. Sound Pressure Level…”This sound pressure level may be exceeded during short-term events such as utility outages and/or severe wind storms.” It is not mentioned in the utility grid section and the on-site regulations should mirror the utility grid to avoid any “equal protection” claims.
3. Section 901 (A)(2)(c) and (d): The 1.5 times height seems inconsistent with the 2,500’ setback due to the height of 330’ height limit. Suggested we either increase the multiplier 5 times the height or eliminate it altogether. We chose to eliminate the 1.5 times the height and used the distance of 2,500 feet from the property line…..
4. Section 901 (B): The following was added for clarification: “Noise measurements shall be conducted consistent with ANSI S12.18 Procedures for Outdoor Measurement of Sound Pressure Level and ANSI S12.9 Part 3 (Quantities and Procedures for Description and Measurement of Environmental Sound — Part 3: Short-term Measurements with an Observer Present), using Type 1 meter, A-weighting, Fast Response.”
5. Section 901 (C): Suggestion to remove the phrase “industry standards” as it can mean something different depending on the wind industry representative. We changed it to read, “All solid waste whether generated from supplies, equipment, parts, packaging or operation or maintenance of the facility, including old parts and equipment, shall be removed from the site within thirty (30) days of the date such solid waste was generated.”
6. Section 901 (H)(2): Change the language of “maximum and most up to date technology”. A letter A was added to include the following: Turbines must include technology acceptable to the Township that minimizes the risk of harm….” Also a letter B was added to read: “The applicant must comply with US Fish & Wildlife Guidelines concerning the siting and operation of industrial wind turbines.”
7. Section 901(H)(4): change to “A decommissioning plan acceptable to the Township shall be provided….. (This wording was added).
8. Site Plan Review, Section K: Type corrected from ANSI 512.9 to read ANSI S12.9.
After discussion, a motion was made by Mary to accept the changes to our amendments, seconded by Dorothy, all agreed and motion carried.
b. Master Plan updates and timeline: Jason McCarthy has been working on our Master Plan and submitted an extended timeline due to the COVID-19 virus. We need a public open house before the snowbirds leave to be able to continue to work on this. He has been working on the history of the area, some demographics and will be applying census data when available.
OPEN DISCUSSION FOR ISSUES NOT ON THE AGENDA:
- Correspondence received: None except the update from Jason McCarthy.
- Planning Commission members concerns: Get this done.
- Members of the audience concerns: Think we are doing an awesome job.
REPORT OF TOWNSHIP BOARD REPRESENTATIVE, Keith Erickson: None.
REPORT OF ZONING BOARD OF APPEALS REPRESENTATIVE: Jay Loman: Absent
REPORT OF PLANNING CONSULTANT: No consultant
- Any new business: None.
- Setting public hearing dates or work sessions, if needed: Already covered above.
DISCRETIONARY PUBLIC COMMENT: Irene presented an idea for our township due to her interest in a TV show “Flea Market Flip” that is popular. She suggested having a designated flea market in Arvon Township on a regular basis (seasonal ?). This will fall under our Master Plan when we have an open house for these kinds of suggestions.
Keith brought up about the Potter’s Field at the cemetery having gravel leveled and putting a plaque with the names of those buried there.
Kenny brought up needing a definition for junk yard. A definition for blight already exists in the Ordinance. Discussion followed if there is a difference between the two, as there can be various opinions on this.
NEXT QUARTERLY MEETING DATE: October 14, 2020, 6 p.m. at Skanee Town Hall. ADJOURNMENT: Mary made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Joe, all agreed, motion carried. Adjournment at 7:10 p.m.