Pointe Abbey

View from Point Abbaye

Welcome to Arvon Township, Michigan. Check Here for Building Permit Information.

The following files are available for you to download and print out. These are PDF files formatted to letter size paper. Simply click to view or to download to your computer.

Building Code

Existing Land Use Plan Map

Future Land Use Plan Map

Existing Land Use Plan

Revised Arvon Township Zoning Ordinance 2017

Recreational Plan

Building Permit Fee Schedule

Building Permit for Michigan

Mechanical Permit

Plumbing Permit


Arvon Township Building Code Department

  1. Permits are required for:
    1. All new construction:  buildings, additions, alterations, remodeling, new or replacement plumbing, mechanical or electrical systems, etc.
    2. Demolition or removal of buildings
    3. Changing an existing use, i.e. garage conversions, converting a house to an office or an apartment.


  1. Building permits ARE NOT REQUIRED for the following:
    1. Farm buildings which are not for human habitation and are strictly used for agricultural purposes.
    2. Ordinary maintenance and repairs not involving structural changes.
    3. One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet.


  1. The Arvon Township Building Inspector, Ken Anderson, will issue building permits for all construction throughout the township.  Applications can be obtained by contacting the building inspector by calling him at 906-524-6297 or by e-mail at kisaw@up.net.  Applications can then be sent to the Skanee Town Hall, or at the new construction site.  Before a building permit can be issued, you must have the following approvals.
    1. Well and septic system approval.  The Western Upper Peninsula Health Department issues all sewage and well permits; requirements of their Superior Environmental Health Codes are:
      1. PREMISES OCCUPANCY – It shall be unlawful for any person to occupy, or permit to be occupied, any premise not equipped with an approved sewage system.
      2. The first step in obtaining a septic system permit is a site evaluation to determine whether site and soil conditions can support a septic system.
      3. Sewage system construction permits must be approved prior to issuing of a building permit.

The Western Upper Peninsula District Health Department is located at 540 Depot Street, Hancock, MI. They can be contacted at 906-482-7382.  Call them for applications and to arrange for a site evaluation by Sanitarian.

    1. Zoning Approval – Arvon Township enforces their own local zoning ordinance.  Zoning approval can be obtained from Ken Anderson, Zoning Administrator, when you contact him for your building permit.
    2. Soil Erosion Approval – (If within 500' of a lake or stream or if disturbing one acre or more of land), contact the Baraga County Administrative offices at 2 South Main Street, L'Anse, MI 49946 for applications and approval.
  1. After your well and septic systems, zoning, soil erosion permits are approved, submit these, along with the building permit applications, plus the following to the building inspector:
    1. Plans for the building:  plot plan, floor plan, truss design drawings, and specification sheet for type of construction (stick built garage, pole barn, or for a new addition or new building).
    2. The permit fee must be paid before the building permit can be issued.
    3. Electrical, Mechanical Permits:

Electrical permits can be obtained from Arvon Township's Electrical Inspector, Dominic Picciano. He can be reached at 906-353-6343.

Plumbing and Mechanical permits must be obtained from the State Bureau of Construction Codes – website is Michigan.gov/bcc.  Contact them for the application fee schedule, etc.  The state inspectors arrange necessary inspections once permits are issued.


Website development and design by U. P. Marketing Department